Keep Your Home Dry
Excess moisture in a home can weaken a home’s structure, damage personal belongings, cause unpleasant odors and reduce air quality. A high level of moisture can cause mold growth which can lead to bacteria, cockroaches and dust mites. This excess moisture can also cause the rotting of a home’s foundation and be the origin of asthma and allergies in the home’s inhabitants.
Moisture can originate from a number of outdoor sources as well as from the activities of those living in the home.
Some outdoor sources include:
- Foundation drainage
- Below-grade walls
- Blocked exterior air circulation
Indoor sources include:
- Domestic activities
- House plants
- Air conditioners
- Damp basements
Excess moisture within a home is not a hard problem to diagnose. There are numerous symptoms that can indicate that there is a high level of moisture within your home. These include:
- Odors: higher humidity leads to the increase in indoor smells. Musty odors can be caused by mold, mildew and rot.
- Frost and ice on cold surfaces
- Damp feeling within the home
- Surface discoloration, staining and texture changing
- Deformed wood surfaces and wood decay
- Sweating pipes
- Peeling paint
- Chipping concrete
- Increased indoor humidity
It is important to diagnose excess moisture problems early to prevent further damage. The EZBreathe ventilation system can help reduce the level of indoor moisture by removing damp, contaminated air. The result is drier, cleaner and healthier air that will reduce the risk of home damage and health issues.